Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Returning to the planet

It's been a while since I last blogged. In blog years, that's like a lifetime. I guess it's because I've been reincarnated in a new job and in a new role. It's taken me a while to get settled in my new environment and to figure out how, if at all, I should continue to blog.

My new position involves creating Eclipse tools for JBoss ESB, and there's no shortage of things to do. :) And, yes, it's all open source. I'll continue to blog about the same sorts of things that previously appeared in this blog, but also include more about SOA and plug-in development in Eclipse.

For now, I'll just make a general observation, which has been guiding my use, selection and development of tools recently: the Linux Hater says: "The best code in the world won't change the world if people can't use it."

3 comments:

Brian Fitzpatrick (aka "Fitz) said...

Good to see you back in the public eye. :)

Anonymous said...

How could it be the best code in the world if it was unusable???

John Graham said...

> How could it be the best code in the
> world if it was unusable???

I'm going to feel a bit like a Zen master here. :)

Sure, at one level I agree: it can't be the best code in the world if is it not usable. But "usable" in the context of this quote means "easy to configure." So, I could have this really great run time component that has all these desirable features and _as a run time component_ it could be the "best code in the world." But, if I can't access those features in a reasonable way, then over all, it is not the best code.